• 15 Jan 2024 - 00:00
     (00:00 GMT)

    Thanks for joining us

    This live page is now closed. Follow along with our ongoing coverage of Israel’s war on Gaza here.

    60,000 people have been injured

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 23:45
     (23:45 GMT)

    Here’s what happened today

    We will soon be closing this live page. Here’s a recap of recent developments on the 100th day of Israel’s war on Gaza:

    • The Israeli army reports it has killed “about 9,000” Palestinian fighters in Gaza since the war began, as the Gaza Ministry of Health says the death toll approaches 24,000.
    • A 24-hour protest in Tel Aviv calls for the release of 136 captives still held by Hamas in Gaza after 100 days.
    • Israel will spend 210 billion Israeli shekels ($54bn) on war on Gaza by 2025, the Bank of Israel estimates, Israel’s Channel 12 reports.
    • “Through repeated raids and attacks, Israel is hoping people will leave voluntarily,” says the Palestine Liberation Organization’s Wasel Abu Yousef of the escalating West Bank violence.

    23,700 people have been killed, that's 1 of out every 100 people in Gaza

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 23:30
     (23:30 GMT)

    Israeli poll suggests Netanyahu would lose power in elections

    The Channel 14 poll has Netanyahu’s governing coalition falling to 56 seats, while the opposition jumps to 64.

    Netanyahu’s Likud party would lose its status as the biggest party in parliament, falling from 32 seats to 26. War cabinet Minister Benny Gantz’s Blue and White party would jump to 29 seats, the poll suggests, making it the biggest party.

    Many point to Gantz as Israel’s likely next prime minister but, unless Netanyahu’s coalition falls, no general elections need to be scheduled until 2026.

    Advertisement
  • 14 Jan 2024 - 23:15
     (23:15 GMT)

    A day to ‘salute’ Palestinian health care workers: Doctor

    Speaking to Al Jazeera, Mads Gilbert, a physician who has worked extensively in Gaza, said he never could have imagined the destruction wrought on the enclave during the 100 days of war.

    However, with the healthcare system in tatters, he said today’s milestone is an opportunity to recognise the health workers who continue to put their lives in danger.

    “It is a day to salute the very brave Palestinian healthcare workers – the doctors, the nurses, the paramedics, the medical students all over Gaza – who have risked and are risking their lives as we are speaking,” he said.

    “They have been standing tall together with their patients and their people in support of life, not death.”

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 23:05
     (23:05 GMT)

    Judicial investigation launched in Turkey after Israeli footballer makes gesture related to war in Gaza

    Turkish Justice Minister Yilmaz Tunc said that a judicial investigation had been launched into Sagiv Jehezkel, who has been accused of “inciting people to hatred and hostility”.

    The Antalyaspor player gestured to a message on his bandaged hand after he scored in a game on Sunday. The message read “100 days 7/10” alongside a star of David, in what has been interpreted in Turkey as support for Israel’s actions in Gaza, but what Israeli media outlets have said is a message of support to captives held in the enclave.

    Antalyaspor has suspended the player for acting “against the national values of our country by sharing the writing on his wrist”.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 23:00
     (23:00 GMT)

    WATCH: 100 days of victims in Israel’s war on Gaza

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 22:45
     (22:45 GMT)

    Palestine lose to Iran but win hearts on ‘special night’ at Asian Cup

    In the end, Palestine lost to Iran on the pitch but the team and the Palestinian people won more than thousands of hearts in their opening match of the AFC Asian Cup at the Education City Stadium in Qatar.

    The 4-1 scoreline in Iran’s favour fairly reflected the possession and dominance that the Asian powerhouse enjoyed in the Group C match on Sunday night, but it does not tell the story of a crowd that was united behind Palestine amid Israel’s devastating war on Gaza.

    From the moment the stadium’s gates opened to the public, Palestine had some form of representation in the crowd filing into the venue in Al Rayyan, on the outskirts of Qatar’s capital Doha.

    Read more here.

    Education City Stadium for Iran v Palestine match, AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2023 [Sorin Furcoi/Al Jazeera]
    Education City Stadium for the Iran vs Palestine match, AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2023 [Sorin Furcoi/Al Jazeera]
  • 14 Jan 2024 - 22:30
     (22:30 GMT)

    Biden says still working to negotiate captive release

    In a statement marking 100 days of war in Gaza, Biden said it is a “devastating and tragic milestone” for those still held captive in Gaza.

    He said the US will continue to try to negotiate their release, even as talks have stalled since a seven-day pause in fighting last week. Earlier today, Hamas said it had lost contact with several captives amid the ongoing bombardment.

    “I will never forget the grief and the suffering I have heard in my meetings with the families of the American hostages. No one should have to endure even one day of what they have gone through, much less 100,” Biden said in a statement, which did not mention the nearly 24,000 Palestinians killed in Gaza.

    “On this terrible day, I again reaffirm my pledge to all the hostages and their families – we are with you. We will never stop working to bring Americans home,” he said.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 22:15
     (22:15 GMT)

    Israeli war cabinet member says time to stop ‘lying to ourselves’: Report

    Israel’s Channel 12 as well as other Israeli media outlets have reported that Gadi Eisenkot told the rest of the war cabinet it was time for Israel to change tack in its efforts to secure the release of the remaining captives held in Gaza.

    “We have to stop lying to ourselves, to show courage, and to lead to a large deal that will bring home the hostages,” Eisenkot, whose son and nephew died fighting in Gaza, said. “Your time is running out and each day that passes endangers their lives.”

    Netanyahu and Defence Minister Gallant disagreed, however, saying that only “military pressure” would bring back the captives.

    Advertisement
  • 14 Jan 2024 - 22:00
     (22:00 GMT)

    Deadly raids continue in occupied West Bank

    There have been continuous raids across the occupied West Bank as the Israeli military has really upped [its] presence since October 7.

    We’ve been seeing these nightly raids for the last two years. But since the war began, the number of them has risen significantly.

    Just today, you’re looking at five Palestinians who have been killed, two of them – the most recent ones – near the illegal settlements of Beit El near Ramallah.

    The Israeli army released a statement alleging that the two minors were trying to throw Molotov cocktails at an army base near Ramallah. One of their bodies is being withheld by occupation forces.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 21:45
     (21:45 GMT)

    Hamas releases video of captives in Gaza

    The video showed three captives appealing to their government to stop the offensive.

    “Tomorrow, we will inform you of their fate,” the video said, without giving further details.

    The latest video comes shortly after a Hamas official said the group had lost contact with some captives amid Israel’s bombardment.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 21:30
     (21:30 GMT)

    Five Palestinians killed in West Bank on Sunday

    The killings occurred in three different incidents as we have reported throughout the day:

    • Sixteen-year-old Khaled Hmeidat and 17-year-old Suleiman Kanaan were killed by Israeli forces in el-Bireh.
    • Sixteen-year-old Louay Al-Sufi was killed by Israeli forces during a raid on the Ain Sultan refugee camp, north of the city of Jericho.
    • Two Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in Sair, north of Hebron, while in a car the military said broke through a checkpoint.

    The deaths bring the total number of Palestinians killed in the occupied West Bank since October 7 to 352, including 94 children.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 21:15
     (21:15 GMT)

    Egyptian news channel confirms killing of journalist in Gaza

    Al-Ghad TV confirmed Yazan al-Zuweidi was killed today in Gaza, accusing Israeli forces of targeting him.

    In the wake of the cameraman’s killing, the channel appealed to international rights observers to hold Israel accountable.

    The Committee to Protect Journalists has said at least 82 media workers have been killed since the war began, including 75 Palestinians. They include Al Jazeera journalists Samer Abudaqa and Hamza Dahdouh, the son of Al Jazeera Gaza bureau chief Wael Dahdouh.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 21:00
     (21:00 GMT)

    Qatari emir: Killing and displacement of Palestinians unacceptable

    In comments made to Al Jazeera Arabic, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said that “the killing and displacement of Palestinians is a line that cannot be crossed or accepted”.

    He added that the Palestinian cause was a matter of principle.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:50
     (20:50 GMT)

    ‘Everything must be done’ to end Gaza fighting: WHO chief

    In an impassioned appeal marking 100 days of war in Gaza, WHO chief Tedros decried “over 300 attacks on health and continuous lack of safe access to critical aid” in the enclave.

    He noted that only 15 hospitals remain operational but are only able to provide limited services.

    Meanwhile, humanitarian workers are “repeatedly stymied from providing the aid so critically needed”.

    “People in Gaza are living in hell. Nowhere is safe. 100 days, and counting, of incessant insecurity and fear is beyond words,” he wrote on X. “Everything must be done to end the violence to prevent more needless death and injury.”

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:40
     (20:40 GMT)

    PRCS in Gaza receives 46 aid trucks

    The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) says it received the trucks from its Egyptian counterpart through the Rafah border crossing.

    The trucks contain food, water, relief aid and medical supplies.

    Meanwhile, about 113 humanitarian aid trucks entered through the Karem Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing.

    Yesterday, no aid trucks entered through the Rafah and Karem Abu Salem crossings, the PRCS noted.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:30
     (20:30 GMT)

    ‘Civilian population in Gaza have suffered enough’: Red Cross chief

    International Federation of the Red Cross Secretary-General Jagan Chapagain has made the latest appeal for humanitarian reprieve for the people of Gaza.

    In Gaza, the health care system is on the brink of collapse. In any conflict or crisis, access to health care is a question of life or death,” he posted on X.

    “Civilian population in Gaza have suffered enough, and healthcare is one of the last remaining beacons of hope. It’s a humanitarian and moral imperative to ensure the people of Gaza can access health care,” he wrote.

    The United Nations has said Israeli denials of access for humanitarian missions have increased since the beginning of the year. Only about 21 percent of planned humanitarian deliveries to northern Gaza have reached their destinations in the first weeks of the year.

    Advertisement
  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:20
     (20:20 GMT)

    Police in London arrest six in alleged plot to disrupt stock exchange

    Those arrested are members of the Palestine Action group, according to the Metropolitan Police. They ranged in age from 23 to 31.

    The Met Police said the group “were intending to target the London Stock Exchange on the morning of Monday, 15 January, causing damage and ‘locking on’ in an effort to prevent the building opening for trading”.

    The police said the arrests came after they were given information by the Daily Express tabloid.

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:10
     (20:10 GMT)

    Houthis: We will continue attacks against Israel-linked ships

    The Houthi group’s spokesperson, Mohammed Abdulsalam, said that the targeting of ships in the Red Sea would continue until the attacks on Gaza stop, and the siege of the Palestinian enclave ends.

    Abdulsalam said that US attacks on Yemen would not stop the Houthis from “continuing to implement our religious and humanitarian commitment in support of the Palestinian people”.

    He added that US aircraft continued to fly close to Yemen, after Houthi media outlets earlier reported an attack on Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen’s western Hodeidah governorate.

     

  • 14 Jan 2024 - 20:00
     (20:00 GMT)

    Another Palestinian teen killed by Israeli forces near Ramallah: Ministry

    The Ministry of Health says that another teenager was killed in al-Bireh, near Ramallah, identifying him as Khaled Hmeidat, 16.

    Earlier, we reported that 17-year-old Suleiman Kanaan was killed in the same area.

Advertisement